Cultural Mediators or Interprets
MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES is a non-governmental humanitarian organization. We are working today in more than 60 countries where our volunteers offer their help to populations in distress, to victims of conflicts without any discrimination of religion, philosophy or politics.
In order to create a pool of recruitment, MSF is looking for cultural mediators or interprets ready to join our operations in Greece, Balkans and Search and Rescue in the Mediterranean Sea.
Main purpose of the job
Support the provision of quality services facilitating the communication between our beneficiaries and MSF staff by:
- creating a trustful relationship with both counterparts;
- assuring the translation between the medical doctor/psychologist and the patient in his/her mother tongue making the words of the medical team understandable to the patient and vice versa;
- supporting MSF staff in understanding specific aspects of the cultural background of the beneficiaries with whom you have cultural affiliations with the aim to improve the provision of MSF services;
- exchanging with other cultural mediators and all MSF staff in order to approach each beneficiary in the most appropriate way;
- guaranteeing the confidentiality, impartiality and neutrality;
- taking an active part in all necessary collateral activities linked to the beneficiaries’ health and social assistance, including information and advocacy.
- Degree in social science, social communication, social work or education &/or a relevant professional experience
- Training in interpretation or intercultural mediation is an asset.
For cultural reasons & in order to facilitate the access to our beneficiaries, we are looking for people speaking :
Nigerian Pidgin/English (For cultural reasons, preference will be given to female applicants)
- Previous experience in interpretation and/or cultural mediation preferable.
- Experience with other NGOs preferable.
- Flexibility and adaptability to other cultures
- Flexibility to specific environment (boat ; swimming) with basic living conditions
- Openness to others
- Ability to work under stress
- Team player
- Humanitarian motivation
- Fixed term contract, salary depending on the place of residence and the recognized work experience, transport costs, housing, per diem, vaccinations and medical insurance
- Two to six months contract
- Availability to work abroad
How to apply
If you are interested in this position, please apply online
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.